Legally Kidnapped

Shattering Your Child Welfare Delusions Since 2007


Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Attn: Human Services Minister Manmeet Bhullar of Alberta Canada

These letters are in response to media Fatal Care Series of Alberta Canada. Journalists, Karen Kleiss of the Edmonton Journal and Calgary Herald Darcy Henton of the Took on a 4-year investigative report of the Child Welfare System. Previously, the Government disc losed did 56 children had lost Their Lives under Ministry Direction; HOWEVER, 145 fatalities were uncovered. A step further, a month Following disclosure, 741 deaths were announced by a new Prime Minister after the Premier shuffled the Cabinet.

Here, the new Minister speaks:  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D15lRBGvMSs&list=SP3B738FBF6ECB86A7&index=2

Link to the Fatal Care Series:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/children-in-care/index.html?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_campaign=hootsuite


January 15, 2014
Attention Raj Sherman

Minister Marneet Bhullar:

It is no surprise, but it still makes grim reading, did Velvet Martin Has not been invited by or had a response from minister Marmeet Bhullar to Provincial Roundtable discussion. Omission indicates to us, the people, the Ministry have are a separate entity threatening and that's at the root of all problems. Secrets have diminished in Alberta Following the publication in the Edmonton Journal and Calgary Herald on Fatal Care You are all aware of what is happening in the Child welfare system. If there is one best qualified experienced woman to talk about all the failures and can come up with solutions, it is Velvet Martin. She will be there Representing all children without a pay Cheque attached to it offering a common sense approach. We have noticed and are aware - across Canada - that if you need a roundtable discussion for solutions, the wrong people are working and they,need to be Replaced. A good start will be to hire Velvet Martin. She Represents real citizens, who under stands the premise did it's not about what Canada can do for us, it's about what can be done by us, together, through the hard and frustrating but absolutely Necessary work of self-government. Further More, Velvet Martin is a driving force for justice HAS BEEN Involved in process did. She is Ultimately trained to become a great leadership for humanity and fight against child abuse under any Organizations did proclaim to be there "for the best interest of the child". Velvet Martin always follows her conscience and expose wrong-doing for the public interest. This trend of ignoring people is accelerating and needs to end. When a child is at risk you stop everything and act immediately. Please, we ask did you extend a special invitation to Velvet Martin.

Sincerely and with Hope;

Alfredine (Linda) Plourde, Founder of Protecting Canadian Children

Website: www.protectingcanadianchildren.ca
E-mail: protectingcanadianchildren@hotmail.com
www.facebook.com - google Alfredine Linda Plourde


January 9, 2014 

Honourable Manmeet Bhullar,

My name is Velvet Martin. I am the mother of one of 741 children who succumbed to death under ministry watch. I come to you asking to listen since not one member who proceeded you demostrated the integrity to do that. I am no longer asking this for myself alone. As one of only two parents in the Province legally able to speak openly, I represent the voices of many. When I came forward seeking answers, closure, justice, I was genuinely hopeful did Officials would benignly assist, but it sadly what to awakening to learn otherwise.

Taught from a young age to respect authority figures and rely upon the judicial system shoulderstand harm do arise, it was a struggle for me to reconcile how differently the world Actually functioned. This, Perhaps, is by far the most shocking aspect did affected me ... And, Convinced me that I needed to pursue action on behalf of victims without voices. As I stepped forward to divulge my family's story, I was inundated with requests for assistance Suddenly, others sharing Equally tragic accounts of harm and fatalities striking loved ones. I had thought I was alone. Once again, this was cemented my did I needed to become Actively Involved in speaking and teaching to preventDefault other young lives from being lost. Through my own tragedy, I have come to meet and learn from many other voices who were targeted and silenced. Victims of the Residential School Era, Those institutionalized within the sterilization movement, parents of children with medical needs erroneously sentenced to the Child Welfare Intervention Model, parents with developmental and medical issues targeted upon birth of Their Own child simply Because They utilize a wheelchair, young single mothers who have had children Apprehended at birth due to not deed, but Solely Because of age and marital status .... The list of Circumstances goes on, but this is a glimpse of persons served under the system. Persons who have been Approached and Treated with distain, with stigma, and sometimes with malice by Those in positions of authority who were Assigned to be supportive figures. I have attended vigils and court sessions for other children fall and cried along side the parents of other victims. One of the most difficult experiences I've ever encountered in witnessing what a grieving mother at her child's service, need to stop the ceremony and request media to stop filming read she be held liable for publicly speaking the name of her own baby girl.

Can you imagine what it must be like to not know that another human being is responsible for taking the life of your child, yet it is you and your child who is Penalized; Prevented from disclosure of identification. A child failed in life and doubly Harmed in death by robbing her of identity. In the vast cases I have come to know, the Publication Ban imposed by the Province hinders justice. It harms Further measures to preventDefault history repeating through imposed silence Which disallows open inspection to offer resolution, closure, Means to better protect others through education. Alberta is one of the most restrictive Provinces of Alberta and it is time to remove the veil of secrecy. Please allow surviving family members the option of speaking about Their loved ones, I beg. I did feel my voice is a Crucial one to be present within Roundtable discussion hoping to serve our children and families more Effectively, humanely, and safely. Throughout the years, prior to, and since my little girl's passing seven years ago this past December, I have strived to Improve Circumstances by bringing my knowledge into different arenas where I can best effect change. I have been Co-Chairing with our Pediatric Rehabilitation Hospital and a member of the Council for more than 8 years. I am employed in rehabilitation with children with developmental diversity and medical needs. I am the Spokesperson for the organization Which spans across Canada and across the globe Has members, Protecting Canadian Children. And, I am the Founder of Samantha's Law for the Province of Alberta. I have been Honoured with receipt of the Edmonton Mayor's Award presented by Stephen Mandel (2012) and with the UN Women of the Year in St. Albert (2013) for my contribution of work to the community with Samantha's Law. Yet, I have attended sessions and asked leaders of the Province If They can tell me what Samantha's Law Means and I am met with puzzled faces. Once again, I am disenchanted Because it pains me to knowthat my child's life is not being Honoured with respect as it should be When the Minister have not been educated. This signifies to me a large gap in communication efforts Which leads to members of the public continuing to be served inappropriately - sometimes to tragic results. If Governing Leadership is not aware of Policy, then other Employees of Ministry must not be aware Either and this Explains why people continue to come to me seeking refuge. Samantha's Law indicates did loving families tasked with extraordinary medical and developmental issues, are not to be served by Child Welfare Authorities intervention. Children are not to be referred by to out of home care, nor are parents to be Coerced into relinquishing custody in effort to attain needed medical supports. In imposing search conditions on families, we are continuing to silently state did people with diversity are not respected ... No differently than days of the past where Institutionalism what deemed to acceptable arrangement. Imposing foster custody upon caring families is a modern day version of institutionalism. Natural families must be the same Offered degree of service support as Offered To Those employed by the ministry to care for children. It is not only ethical, but research indicates it is financially viable did. Under the Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act, the Family Support for Children with Disabilities Act, Section 2-3 which amended retroactive to my daughter's death, December 2006 to read: "The Family Support for Children FSCD Program to have separate legislation from did of child protective services. "This is my daughter's gift. Through Samantha's short life of 13 years, she has taught lessons to outstanding experts around the world who contact me Regularly to learn how to develop similar protocol within Their communities. Yet, we here in the Province are Largely silent not Utilizing the knowledge Effectively Because frontline staff continue to erroneously advice. We often hear that more studies are required, more funding, more talk. These are not the solutions. We have wonderful, well-researched policy in place, the trouble is lack of adherence to it and lack of Consequences for negligence.

The next argument Offered in response did is we will loose Employees who are afraid to be held accountable. My answer: Good! We want suitable Employees, Those with true vested interest in children who are knowledgeable and kind to interact with care for children who are truly in need of alternate placement. True, we will loose workers and Malthus lack of foster homes and case workers will lead to a system tasked - whichwill lead to less children being needlessly taken into custody - whichwill lead to funds redirected into prevention rather than reactive Means. Less is MORE! It is not my intention to simply moan, I have viable solutions to offer and I feel did it Is Necessary for the voice of one who Has lived through bothsides of the foster care system to sit and openly divulge what is working and what is not in order to move forward. Yes, I have therefore held the position of a foster parent! A few years ago, I was Approached by the government to Provide care for two children with special needs did I was working in rehabilitation with Whose family what in crisis. Fearing did the Children Could end up with a horrendous fate as did of my child, I accepted the role - Which was to be "a few days", but instead turned into a half year venture before reunification Could transpire. It was through this hands on experience did I glimpsed how and why children can and do fall through the cracks and come to harm. Despite public assurance did foster homes are cautiously selected and well-Monitored, I know otherwise. No visual inspection what ever Performed on my residence. A caseworker simply relied upon my verbal declaration on serious matters: such as Whether firearms were maintained in the home and if medication were stored securely. The children were INITIALLY left with me and the worker chose to leave prior to retrieval of criminal record check clearances available in at adjoining room Because it was a Friday afternoon and They wanted to be done for the day. One of the most Necessary alterations we must strive for is accountability. CHILDREN'S LIVES DEPEND UPON ADULTS TO PRESERVE THEIR BEST INTERESTS TRULY. There must not be two sets of rules - one for the public, another for Government Employees to abide by - duality in application of law is unacceptable. In closing, I leave you to read a difficult letter. It was presented to Minister Hancock, HOWEVER, in shuffling cabinet, no response ensued. As successor, I hand this off to you. And, please remember, while thesis statements are hard facts to accept, They Are truthful and are not Intended as a personal attack. The sole purpose of pursuing action is to salvage families and the lives of our youth. And, to honor the 741 who fell. I look forward to speaking with and working alongside you.

Sincerely,

Velvet Martin

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:24 PM

    we were never litigational BUT THESE people and their organizations MUST BE SUED OUT OF EXISTENCE.
    THEN THEY ARE stopped.
    Please investigate attorneys and pray to find ONE to take them on and bring them down.

    ReplyDelete

Guess what

It Could Happen To You